Monday, April 13, 2009

Recent Projects

This is an archtop that I'm building for myself.  It is modeled after the early Gibson archtops with an oval soundhole and a rounded bodyshape.  The top is cedar from a local lumberyard and the back and sides are black walnut scraps that were being thrown away at the cabinet shop that I used to work at.  I'm looking forward to finishing this.  

Also shown are some ebony pickup covers and a tailpiece that I made for a client.

Workbench from Woodscraps.

When I moved into my house in November, the first thing I did (with a little help) was tear up the old wood floor and walls in half of the basement.  I did this mainly to get down to the concrete floor and increase the headroom.   The wood from the demolition went into my tiny one car garage and lived there for the winter.  My plan is to salvage the wood and eventually use it for my projects in the future.  
I recently got around to setting up my 'guitar room' and I needed to build a bench.  It was a sunny day and I was looking for something to do outside so I decided to salvage some wood from the garage and see what I could come up with.  I dug through the piles and pulled out the nicest 2 X 4's that I could find.  I set up a couple of saw horses and spent a couple of hours pulling out nails.  I ended up with better wood than I could find in a lumberyard today and it was essentially free.  The 2 x 4's are bigger that what you can find nowadays  and it is denser, old growth.

I added a bench-top made of Georgia-Pacific Blue Ribbon OSB which contains no added urea-formaldehyde, sealed it with an oil finish and I was done.  Now I can get to work on all the project that have been brewing in my head for the last 6 months!